Thursday, June 22, 2017

State Number 17 - Bear Lake Marathon, Idaho


State Number 17 – Bear Lake Marathon, Idaho

St. Charles, ID

 

19 June 2015

THREE marathons, THREE states, THREE days.  The three-state area of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming in the Bear Lake vicinity is an ideal setting for a trifecta and a perfect race weekend for 50-State Club runners.

The centralized location of the Bear Lake trifecta is ideal for us Fifty-Staters and die hard marathoners who can’t pass up the opportunity to check off three states in one weekend with only a 45-minute, or less, travel distance between the three races.  How great is that?

On a side note, the Wyoming marathon was run twice, Thursday 18 June and Sunday 21 June.  Thursday was available for those wanting to run Wyoming early, did not want to run on Sunday or wanted to complete four marathons in four days.  I believe most ran Wyoming on Thursday.

We boarded a short United flight from LAX to Salt Lake City (SLC), rented a car and drove up I-15 to Montpelier, ID via Highway US 91 through Logan and Preston, ID.  After stopping for a pleasant visit with one of my cousins in the Preston area, it was off through the scenic Idaho Route 36 over the Bear River Range Mountains into Bear Lake Valley’s Montpelier.

As we entered the city of around 2800 residents lying in the heart of the farming region north of Bear Lake tucked away in the far southeastern corner of Idaho, a scary life-sized bear statue of Old Ephraim stands on a grassy patch along the main highway greeting those who drive or walk by. 

Settled by Mormon pioneers, the city is also situated on the historic California/Oregon Trail.

This trip was my first ever visit to the Bear Lake area and I was excited to run two of the three marathons.  Since I had already run Top of Utah (State No. 4) nearly three years earlier, I decided to skip the Utah portion of the trifecta.  The Utah marathon was held in between the Idaho and Wyoming runs, so a one-day break between marathons advanced my morale.

It was beautiful weather in the valley with temperatures hovering around 70°F.  The forecast called for sunny skies with warm temperatures.  NOT an ideal situation for me.  Shade in this part of Idaho seemed to be minimal, at best, and I prepared myself to be in it for the long haul. 

The elevation of the Bear Lake area averages around 6000 ft, so I was a little nervous how, or if, the altitude would affect my performance.

No, not the capital of Vermont
Some runners may claim that the Bear Lake marathons are so-called “fake marathons” just so runners can crank out as many states as possible in one trip.  While I’m not opposed to such marathons, if it is a way to knock out some states, then I’m all for it.  Some runners may like only large marathons with all the glitz, glamour, bling and swag; but occasionally I prefer small low-key events from time to time.  Besides, there’s no hassle or frustrations that come with the larger marathon events.

Idaho, as well as the other two, was a small race with a small field of runners.  The Bear Lake Memorial Hospital in Montpelier served as our bib pick-up location – no expo or swag to speak of.  The race director looked disorganized and had a disheveled look on his face from a lack of sleep and non-stop running around.  Anyone trying to organize three or four marathons without major glitches by him/herself using only a handful of volunteers must be a difficult undertaking.

This year’s course layout looked to be different from previous years.  The point-to-point course began in Montpelier and finished in the community of St. Charles nearly 18 miles to the south along US Highway 89.  Because of the point-to-point configuration, I left the hotel a couple of hours before the start time to drive and park the car near finish line area at the LDS church in St. Charles and caught a shuttle bus back to the Montpelier start line.

It was a cold and crisp morning and I was dressed anticipating warmer weather later as the day progressed.  Since the runner pool was small (around 150, more or less), runners were allowed to use the rest rooms and keep warm in the hospital lobby until the 0600 start time.

The marathon did not begin on time – surprise, surprise.  Runners gathered at the rear of a largely empty parking lot across the street from the hospital.  There was no hint of starting line delineation and the race director told everyone to “stand about here” as he pointed to the ground.  The director said the course “should be well marked with small signs and to follow the arrows.”  After that, he yelled, “Go!” and we raced out of the lot with minimal fanfare.


We start about here!
Wow!  That was it?  No chip timing?  On the face of it, low budget.  I was surprised there were a few official pacer runners.  I was concerned if the course actually measured 26 miles 385 yards in length.  I wasn’t about to complain, however, as I set out to enjoy the scenery throughout the agricultural and livestock grazing lands outside the Montpelier expanse.  The wonderful whiffs of the livestock, feed lots and grazing land aromas brought back some old memories. 

It wasn’t long before Montpelier’s asphalt covered roadways turned into county maintained gravel roads.  I’m not a fan of running on gravel roads and it reminded me of Colorado’s Mt. Sneffels Marathon (State No. 3).  With little pebbles somehow working their way into my shoes, I had to stop every so often to remove those annoyances before a blister or hot spot appeared on my foot.

Course spectators were nowhere to be found with the exception of every two or three miles or so, at a manned water station staffed with a couple of volunteers.  There was only water, but no Gatorade or other sports drinks.  Honey Stinger energy gels were available at select tables; however, I took some energy gels with me just in case. 

Beginning around Marathon Mile 7 as runners diverted to the gravel surfaced Airport Road, the course intersected an active railroad track.  I heard the sound of train horns off in the distance and wondered if any runners behind me would be stuck behind a train causing their finish times to be longer than expected.

The long section of Airport Road, with an occasional tractor or farm truck passing by, wound its way through Wardboro, the livestock fields and across the Bear River.  Of course, I took an interest with all the irrigation district ditches, take-out structures and in-stream weirs as I crossed over them or were visible from the road.

On the gravel roads
With several miles of gravel roads, I was more than ready to once again run on a paved surface.  My wish came true, even though it was only temporary, when I entered the little unincorporated community of Dingle and the first sign of any civilization or spectators.  Runners were chiefly left to their own volition pretty much throughout the entire course, and notwithstanding the solitude on the roads, I was content with running my own race.  By the way, I am my only time limit.

Besides a smattering of houses, an LDS church, post office and a park/playground, the rural community of Dingle was a welcomed relief from the emptiness of the agricultural lands and gravel roads.  It was a blessing the good folks of Dingle came out to cheer on the runners for a much needed boost of energy and confidence. 

About a mile after leaving Dingle, the paved road once again became a graveled roadway heading up the course’s only “hill” skirting the escarpment of the Eastern Bear Lake Fault overlooking the Bear Lake National Wildlife Refuge and Mud Lake situated on the northern end of Bear Lake.

For the next 6.5 miles, the steep escarpment alongside the road provided much needed shade as the sun was hastily rising to the east.  The weather was beginning to warm, but the shade turned out to be my sole luxury along that segment of the course.

I had to stop and remove all the pebbles that made their way into my shoes as I negotiated the turn leaving the gravel road at the Bear Lake Hot Springs Resort.  That’s when the wheels came off the proverbial bus.  I was now becoming worried for the remainder of the course.  The next 5.5 miles ran along North Beach Road that separated Bear Lake from Mud Lake.  With the sun at my back, there was not a lick of shade (excepting the trees at the Utah Power & Light facility), and I was becoming sunburnt, overheated and dehydrated.  The weather forced me to resort to walking most of that section.  The water level of Bear Lake was noticeably lower than the shore’s usual lake line.  The allure of running down the beach area and jumping into the striking blue waters of Bear Lake was very enticing, I had no time to spare, I had to finish.

I don’t know which was worse – walking or running.  Walking seemed just as torturous as running in the blazing sun, but running became more and more painful.  As various thoughts kept trolling through my mind, I was constantly weighing the balance between “do I want to finish sooner?” or “do I want to experience less pain with more time in the sun?”  With approximately four miles remaining, my wife texted me that she finished and expect the course to be about 0.25 mile short.  Also in the message, she informed me that she signed up for the Utah portion of the trifecta.  I so wanted to be done and the thought of the course being short lifted my spirits somewhat¼ultimately the “do I want to finish sooner?” won out. 

I had just under two miles left coming off North Beach Road and the penultimate turn onto Powerline Road.  This final part of the course was again on a gravel road, but I didn’t care.  The heat and sun were brutal.  No breezes, no shade – just sun.  But since I was so close to the finish, I put that aside and cruised into the finish line on one of St. Charles’ rustic streets, 100 North, just east of US Highway 89 with a time of 5:05:19 (age graded time 4:36:32 – age graded score 45.87%). 

My Garmin read approximately 0.25 mile short of the 26.2 miles needed for a full marathon, but I wasn’t complaining.  It was close enough for government work and I was happy to be finished after a brutal five hour run.  Time for my medal.  What?  All that work and no medal?  My wife told me medals were available in the food area near the church.

As for the altitude, I don’t believe it had much of an effect on my performance.  When the temperatures were cooler, I kept pretty much a steady pace for 19 to 20 miles.  On the other hand, with Mt. Sneffels being over 8000 feet, I immediately noticed the effects of high-altitude running just after a few short miles.  In the for-what-it’s-worth department, I train at an elevation of 350 feet, more or less, with occasional hill training that reaches altitudes of 800 feet.

Considering all the marathon participants, the average finish time was 5:09:26 with a standard deviation of 1:04:14 and a median time of 5:03:40.  Bearing in mind how awful I felt over the last seven miles, at least I was above average.

To quote George Sheehan, “Have you ever felt worse after a run?”  Given Idaho’s performance, I would have to answer that question with an emphatic “yes!”  I usually feel good after a run – who doesn’t feel better after a dose of endorphins?  My endorphin dose must have assimilated back into my system throughout the course of the day since I lacked any sense of euphoria after crossing the finish line.  Let’s see¼the other times I felt miserable, Mt. Sneffels, CO (State No. 3) and First Light, AL (State No. 9).

I wanted my medal and I was in desperate need of some water and food.  Before I could enjoy the fruits of my labor, we had to walk another quarter mile or so – maybe to make up for the course being a quarter mile short – to a community park area adjacent to the LDS church.

Stalactite and stalagmite formations

We didn’t spend a whole lot of time at the post-race festivities and drove back to Montpelier for some pool/hot tub time to relax our tired muscles.

After we cleaned up and relaxed in the hot tub, we embarked on a visit to Minnetonka Cave up the St. Charles Canyon just outside of St. Charles.  Because everyone knows, the best thing to tackle after a marathon is exploring a strenuous cave formation by hiking 444 stair steps – multiply that by two for the trip out.  While waiting for our tour group to enter the cave, we took the edge off our appetites by consuming a Snickers candy bar.  It was just enough to temporarily tame the hungry bear in us.

The one kilometer long limestone cave leading deep into Idaho’s Bear River Range mountains glistened with stalactite and stalagmite formations with large cavernous rooms bathed in blue, green and white light to accentuate the natural beauty the formations create.  Numerous bats clung to the ceiling seemingly ignoring the noise and commotion from the tour groups.  The temperature in the cave was a nice, cool, constant and comfortable 40°F, so it was a revitalizing and welcomed relief from the outside heat.

I didn’t find the passage into the cave that difficult.  Sure, I was a little stiff and sore from the marathon, but I didn’t allow that to hinder my enjoyment of our spelunking adventure and the stair climbing.  Moreover, the energy expended on the stair climbs can only further my endurance training. 

What’s a cave without bats?  Seeing the numerous bats flying in and out of the cavern was incredible.  I found it remarkable how they can fly so fast under the cover of darkness while skimming over people’s heads simultaneously avoiding the rock formations, cave protuberances and other obstructions – thanks to their biological sonar capabilities.

As we drove down the canyon road back to St. Charles, we happened upon some a herd of bovine quadrupeds sauntering down the highway without paying much attention to the vehicular traffic.  With a little coaxing from the car’s horn, they seemed to take notice and eventually moved off the roadway.

 
Yikes, this dude is huge!



We arrived back in Montpelier with a giant appetite for some lunch.  But first, we needed to strike a pose with Old Ephraim.  The effigy is a life-size representation of the bear who once roamed the area in the early 20th century.  I was amazed with his sheer size and would unquestionably not like to encounter something that size in the wild.

For lunch?  Pizza, at this hole-in-the-wall place called Always Fresh.  It was a busy little establishment off the main highway not far from our hotel.  Packed with summer visitors and a youth sports team, it took some time for our pizza to arrive – all hot and cheesy.  Of course, we also needed to sample of their “famous” ice cream.  I wouldn’t say it was the best, but it had a pretty creamy texture with a good flavor, at least with the flavor I had.

Before heading back to the hotel, we made a pit stop at Broulim’s Grocery Store for some snacks, bottled water, Diet Cokes and some food items for pre-marathon breakfast meals.

After we got back to the hotel, I wandered across the street to the National Oregon/California Trail Center to see if anything captured my interest.  There were a several pieces of flotsam and jetsam and some interesting relics, but I didn’t spend much time perusing the vast collection of artifacts.

During the Idaho marathon, another runner convinced my wife to sign up and run Saturday’s Utah marathon in Laketown, UT in addition to Wyoming to complete the trifecta and compete for the fastest overall time.  She, too, also completed Top of Utah, but I guess accepting the challenge was just too tempting.

I was surprised by the text that she was tackling Utah and I was glad she took up the challenge.  Since Utah is already in the books for me, I was perfectly content with a rest day.  Because my wife needed to prepare for another marathon, our day was cut short for some much needed rest.

At the ID/UT state line boundary monument
Yes, the Idaho marathon was small and probably laid out on a whim with no official USATF measurement other than a vehicle’s odometer reading, but I found this marathon to large in life.  It wasn’t surprising to me that the course ran short and with the race director and his volunteers looking frazzled and stressed out. I hoped that my next marathon in Wyoming would serve me with some better results.  However, it being on Sunday, who knows what could happen.

Very few spectators lined the mostly gravelly road out and back course.  With the small number of runners, it could be a lonely time for some.  I enjoyed the peace and serenity, but when I started on the final six miles across Bear Lake, the heat and sun really took a toll.  When all is told, I did enjoy my experience in Idaho even though it was small and low key, i.e., like one of those “fake marathons”.  I would not doubt course layouts will change in subsequent years until a certified route is nailed down through the process of trial and error.  I have to give kudos to the race director and his “staff” for their unrelenting dedication to make these marathons possible.  See you in Wyoming!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment