Tuesday, December 13, 2016

State Number 9 - First Light Marathon


State Number 9 – First Light Marathon, Mobile, AL

12 January 2014

 

Most, if not all, marathons are memorable in some fashion.  Maybe it was your best run ever, the most scenic, the most challenging, painful or most boring.  I’ve had some memorable marathons along my journey – and not-so-memorable ones, too.  The First Light Marathon was memorable in its own way and definitely takes the cake.

Boston is memorable in a myriad of ways with the thousands of spectators and fans lining the course; New York, for its spectacular tour of the boroughs and the unforgettable finish in Central Park; or Honolulu, one of the world’s largest, with the tens of thousands of runners parading down Kalakaua Avenue in the wee hours of the morning, finishing at the foot of Diamond Head at Waikiki’s Kapiolani Park.  So, why was the First Light Marathon such a memorable experience?   

Running back-to-back marathons was a new concept for me.  I had come to the realization that in order to complete the fifty states in an efficient manner, back-to-back marathons in back-to-back states will be the standard.  I had many unanswered questions such as glycogen depletion, both delayed and non-delayed onset muscle soreness, and the lack of sleep that ordinarily comes after a marathon.  How difficult could the Mississippi/Alabama double be?

I found numerous runners planned to run both Mississippi and Alabama – some 50-staters, some not.  During Mississippi, I asked several runners about the tribulations of running back-to-back marathons.  Most held firm that as long as you don’t overdo yourself with the first one, the second usually isn’t all that bad.  Usually may be considered the operative word in this case.

Based on their advice and from my gut instinct, I did not punish myself too much in Jackson.  I finished in a respectable time and had high hopes to see similar results in Mobile.

Let's rock!
Although Mobile may not be on every runner’s radar, First Light is a major local fundraising event for the great local charity L’Arche Mobile.  L'Arche is a community that affords people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and those who help them can live, work, and share their lives together.  An activity center also provides work opportunities for the residents and team members.

The expo was held in the atrium of downtown’s Mobile Government Plaza where southern belles dressed in period costume were at the doors to greet everyone as they entered.  We received two tech shirts – an event shirt and a Back2Back shirt for those who also ran Mississippi Blues.   A unique 6” x 8” hand-painted canvas personally made by a member of L’Arche Mobile was given to each back-to-back participant as a commemorative token of the great weekend.  On the reverse side of the canvas was a portrait of the artist along with a short bio.

L'Arche canvas art
All marathon and half marathon participants were treated to a complimentary pre-race pasta dinner in the atrium area.  The wonderful residents of L’Arche Mobile (along with other volunteers) worked hard assisting with the expo and serving an abundance of food for the participant’s enjoyment. 

My wife and I helped ourselves to a salad and a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce and a slice of raspberry pie for dessert.  Everyone had a choice of meat or vegetarian sauce with their entrée.

After our dinner, we perused the small expo for anything interesting.  I unfortunately misplaced my running socks back in Jackson, so I had to purchase a new pair.  Upon leaving the building for our hotel, we couldn’t resist striking a pose with the southern belles as they articulated their southern hospitality and charm.

The Super Bowl may be considered one of the most popular sporting events in the United States and could be thought of as one of the largest food consumption days of the year.  With many opportunities to come into contact with some nasty food-borne bacteria, food illnesses can ruin and spoil the game day tradition.  Whoever though that a pre-marathon meal could spoil a marathon event?  That was the farthest thing from my mind.

During the early morning hours, I’d say around 0230 or so, my wife and I both awakened to stomach pains and abdominal cramps, spending some time in the bathroom with gastroenteritis complications.  Putting it straightforwardly, diarrhea.  I figured it would last a couple of hours, pass through, and be over by start time; but no, it continued on through the night.

I wasn’t feeling 100 percent as I woke up before the race start and felt as if the worst was over.  As we entered the hotel’s elevator on our way to the start line, other runners expressed their dismay with the same stomach issues.  Others said some weren’t well enough to run, while others were going to tough it out and run anyway.  We came all the way to Alabama to run and check-off another state – and we were going to run come hell or high water.

I wasn’t feeling too bad while waiting in the start line near Spanish Plaza and thought to myself the problem may have resolved itself.  At 0730, the gun sounded and the detachment of around 1200 runners (full and half combined) marched down Government Street starting the annual running of this marathon.

My perceived muscle soreness from Mississippi was minimal, but it completely waned within the first mile.  It also seemed like my abdominal issues were also going to be a thing of the past – at least I thought.

The first five miles was pretty much uneventful.  I was keeping an easy pace trying not to overdo it all the while worrying about that monkey on my back, abdominal cramping, because I knew it could happen at any moment.

My wife and I both felt some stomach cramping about 5.5 miles into the race and the inevitable happened – time for a potty break.  A Starbucks appeared just shy of Marathon Mile 6 where we both dashed into the coffee establishment only to wait in a short line along with others likely having the same issue.  I could only imagine what was going through the minds of early morning patrons seeing numerous runners dancing around with a pissed off look as they waited in line.  From what I saw, at least no one had an accident.

After that bought, I thought to myself, “I hope I can last another twenty miles.  This day is going to be hell.”  When we began running again, I couldn’t help seeing many other runners scurrying off in different directions looking for places like Winn-Dixie, McDonalds or other restaurants to relieve themselves.  If I wasn’t feeling so bad, I would have thought it was comical.

It wasn’t but a couple of miles before I needed to stop at a clustering of porta-potties to again relieve the severe cramping.  Predicting the possibility of toilet paper not being available at forthcoming porta-potties, I gathered up a large wad and stuffed it into my pocket.  As the Boy Scout motto says, “Be prepared.”

Dehydration is usually associated with diarrhea, so I made sure to hydrate myself with water at aid stations, but wasn’t sure if Gatorade would upset my stomach.  However, each time I swallowed a cup of water, within minutes, my stomach would start cramping. 

Around Marathon Mile 10, we met up with a runner who was struggling and complaining about his stomach.  I asked if he was experiencing the same thing – and he was.  He said his wife had the vegetarian sauce and didn’t exhibit any food poisoning symptoms.  He had the meat sauce and was in terrible shape.  She was providing encouragement as he wanted to quit running.  Apparently, those who had the vegetarian sauce were in the clear, but those who didn’t, suffered.  The guy said he heard that possibly 200 runners were afflicted with food poisoning, but that’s only hearsay.

University of South Alabama
After a lengthy pit stop near the Country Club of Mobile just past Marathon Mile 12, the route turned slightly downhill into the University of South Alabama (USA) campus.  The course wound through the central roads of the beautiful USA campus and around the lily pad choked swamps and bogs of Three Mile Creek originating out of the pine lands of Spring Hill.  Signs posted along Aubrey Green Drive warned people of alligators and to keep out.  From what I saw, I think it was a euphemism warning people to stay away from the litter and mosquito infested stagnant pools.

As we exited USA, we briefly ran down N. University Blvd. only to be scolded by police that we were in the wrong lane and had to move over to the right.  OMG, sorry, but it wasn’t clearly marked.  Uh oh, we needed to use the port potties…again!  Luckily for us, one was available as the course turned onto Gaillard Drive near the Azalea City Golf Course entrance. 

No surprise, the facility was completely void of toilet paper, but I had earlier gathered a large wad for predicaments such as this.  My wife said I was a godsend for having a large supply of TP.  I told her the trees were available and there were plenty of leaves around.  That didn’t go over too well.  Other runners were squatting behind the trees lining the golf course, giving the golfers a nice side show.

The first part of Gaillard Drive was a substantial uphill climb.  We were in no mood to run, so we walked up and down into Municipal Park, around the Museum of Art and around the botanical gardens, all the while enjoying the pleasant weather and tranquility of the area.

When we left the park complex around Marathon Mile 18, a woman at an aid station was handing out bland crackers, cookies, pretzels, and electrolytes to those suffering from the consequences of eating tainted food.  I debated whether I should indulge myself with some crackers and water to settle my stomach.

First, I asked if the woman if she had any bismuth subsalicylate (C7 H5 Bi O4), aka, Pepto-Bismol, but she did not.  So I took my chances and went ahead with a handful of crackers and pretzels hoping I was over the abdominal discomfort.  Minutes later, much to my chagrin, I was able to keep everything down, or in.  With some much needed nutrition, electrolytes and liquids, I mustered up enough strength to start running again since walking seemed harder than running.

At the entrance to Spring Hill College’s Avenue of Oaks, we approached a wonderful couple from Quebec, Canada.  To make the time pass, we talked about our stomach misfortunes, our marathoning experiences and that running the fifty states was our goal.  He apparently had the same abdominal discomfort we had, but said it was somewhat mild. 

They were also 50-staters and have already completed all ten provinces and the three Canadian territories.  I was surprised that Nunavut and Northwest Territories actually had an official marathon.  He said they are quite small and that several marshals on quad-runners patrol the race with high-powered rifles to protect runners from polar bears – how unsettling is that?  They were committed to finish the fifty states with the Marion Marathon in Marion, Iowa.

We later found out that they were preparing to run Avenue of the Giants Marathon in Humboldt County, CA.  I told them that I was originally from the area and, in essence, considered that marathon to be in my “back yard” and that we were scheduling to run that event as well.   From that point on, I was affectionately known as “Eureka” to them.

Around Marathon Mile 23, we were feeling much better which allowed us to pick up the pace a little.  I was tired and sapped of energy and wanted to finish ASAP.  We bade the couple from our northern neighbor au revoir and wished them success in their marathoning journeys.

Homestretch to finish line
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to keep a steady pace and had to walk at times.  I played leap frog with the Canadians for a few times until the last mile or so.  As I passed them running down Dauphin Street, I heard them say, “Go Eureka!” while spectators and sidewalk diners cheered me on (just if they knew how much I suffered).  That cheering gave me the strength I needed to finish strong, despite how weak I was feeling.

I delightedly crossed the finish line with a personal worst time of 6:17:33 for a 14:25 per mile pace.  But, at least I finished!  My wife, on the other hand, finished a few minutes ahead of me. 

Age graded score 36.51%       Age graded time 5:47:23

The course remained open for seven hours and runners had to keep a 16:00 per mile pace or else they ran the risk of being picked up by the swag vehicle.  I was not too far off from failing to complete this marathon.  Given the state of affairs, I was happy with my time.

The great residents of L’Arche Mobile presented each finisher with a hand-made “medal” that complements the canvas art given to the Back2Back participants.  Coincidentally, the artist who painted my canvas presented me with my finisher’s medal. 

Even though we were near the back-of-the-pack, there was still ample food at the finish line festival in Bienville Square.  Needless to say, I was quite hungry so I parked myself on a bench near the fountain and wolfed down a BBQ pulled pork sandwich and chips.  I was happy the food poisoning wasn’t an issue anymore, but it was certainly on my mind.  I just hoped the sudden intake of food wouldn’t upset my stomach.

Because of my late finishing time, the music and celebration festivities were winding down and clean-up was commencing.  I wished I would have finished earlier so I could sit back and enjoy the great zydeco music permeating throughout Bienville Square. 

It wasn’t long before hunger once again set in.  We overheard other runners say that Heroes Sports Bar & Grille was a happening place with great food.  Since it was only four short blocks up Dauphin Street across from Cathedral Square, we gave it a try.

It wasn’t a surprise seeing runners flock to Heroes.  It was noisy inside and everyone was laughing, having a good time while watching basketball games playing on the abundant mounted flatscreen televisions.  All the high top tables were occupied, so we seated ourselves at the bar and we each ordered the Hero Burger straight off the “Big Ass Burgers” menu.  The hero was a half-pound Angus beef charbroiled burger on a Kaiser roll with all the accoutrements, a basket of fries and an ice-cold draft beer.  I must say, the messy burger really hit the spot after a long day plodding along a 26.2 mile course with major gastroenteritis complications.

Monday was the final day of our two-state trip.  It was an ugly, damp and rainy morning.  Before heading back to New Orleans, we made provisions for an excursion to one of Alabama’s barrier islands, Dauphin Island along the gulf coast.

With my experience in floodplain management and FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program, I had to make a visit to a barrier island to see first-hand a Coastal Barrier Resources System and Otherwise Protected Area regions delineated on FEMA’s flood hazard maps.  Being from the left coast without any coastal barrier islands, I could not pass up the opportunity to visit one and to further educate myself with FEMA’s coastal special flood hazard zones.

The unique land forms of coastal barriers provide protection of aquatic habitats and serve as the mainland’s first line of defense against damage from coastal storms and erosion.    Otherwise Protected Areas are generally used for activities such as fish and wildlife research and refuges.

Although California does have special flood hazard area zones in the coastal regions of the state, the barrier islands offer a different perspective in that California doesn’t experience storm surges from extreme storm events typical of the gulf coast.

Just off I-10 on our way to the island, we stopped at Hart’s Fried Chicken for an early lunch.  The hole-in-the-wall place just off the Dauphin Island Parkway is known for their Cajun style and southern fried chicken.  The Cajun chicken coupled with the dipping sauce was fantastic.  I thought it could have been a bit spicier, but I’m glad it wasn’t since I have a tendency to break out in a sweat when I eat spicy foods.

Intracoastal Waterway
The road to Dauphin Island took us directly over the three-mile long multi-spanned Dauphin Island Bridge over the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway straight into the island’s community.  The eastern, wider portion of the island is shaded by thick stands of pine trees, but the narrower more exposed western part of the island features scrub growth and few trees.

Our first stop on the island included the historic Fort Gaines on the east end of Dauphin Island overlooking Mobile Bay.  The fort is best known for its role in the Battle of Mobile Bay.  Exhibits include the anchor from the USS Hartford in which Admiral Farragut gave the famous command, “Damn the torpedoes – full speed ahead.”

Apparently, the constant threat of beach erosion, tropical storms and hurricanes pose great hazards to the fort’s structures and constant maintenance is required to save one of the nation’s best-preserved, and most endangered, Civil War era masonry forts.

Our decision not to tour the open air facility was a wise one due to the moderate cold wind-driven rain.  Instead, we traveled west on Bienville Boulevard towards the west end of the island for a different perspective of island living.

In August 2005, Hurricane Katrina brought extensive damage to parts of Dauphin Island.  Some of the homes on the west end were destroyed.  A section of the island known as Katrina Cut was formed as a channel splitting off the western part.  However, most areas of the island experienced little flooding from the storm surge bought about by Katrina. 

Unlike mainland shores, the low-lying island causes storm surges to flow over the land mass thereby preventing mounding up of water.  From what I saw, the cut seems to have been walled with boulders and crushed rock in hopes of trapping sand to re-build the barrier island through the principles of beach nourishment.

A majority of homes (mainly on the west side) built on the island are elevated with piers, typical of coastal velocity and flood hazard zones.

Being that it was the off-season, activity on the island was virtually non-existent.  Most homes were boarded up for the winter, but a handful of permanent residents still remained, mostly on the eastern forested side of the island.  All, but a handful, of these homes were not elevated on piers, however.


Pier construction schematic. Free of obstruction requirement.
The force majeure manufacturing the unpleasant weather forced us to cut short our visit, but my main purpose was to see the island and to witness for myself barrier island living and coastal construction and retrofit practices I’ve read about throughout my floodplain management education.  So, it was back to New Orleans for our flight back to LAX.

Mississippi Blues and First Light was my first experience with back-to-back marathons and I found the challenge to be not as difficult as I imagined.  For future back-to-backs, I know not to overdo myself but to go easy and enjoy a well-earned long run.

It would behoove me to say that First Light was a memorable marathon and will leave a lasting impression on me for a long time.  The adversity of running a marathon with food poisoning is something I don’t want to practice anytime soon and I was truly fortunate the food poisoning wasn’t serious enough to land me in the hospital.  I have yet to decide if I will eat another pre-race pasta dinner.  Simply put, I’m more satisfied with a pizza or a calzone in front of me.

All too often, I see spectators holding signs that read, “Never trust a fart.”  That saying certainly couldn’t be farther from the truth for most of the First Light Marathon.

A six plus hour marathon certainly lies heavily with me.  I would someday like to complete another marathon in the state of Alabama as a way to redeem myself and to erase such a horrible time so inconsistent with my customary marathon times.  First Light; in a way, could without doubt, be thought of as my most memorable marathon.  Just not in a pleasurable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment