Thursday, December 17, 2015

State Number 19 - Route 66


State Number 19 – Williams Route 66 Marathon, Tulsa, OK

22 November 2015


As a practitioner of the civil engineering discipline and a lifelong student of American history, the nostalgia of U.S. Route 66 definitely fuels my interest.

Established on 11 November 1926, Route 66 is known as the Main Street of America or the Mother Road that traversed a portion of our country from Santa Monica to Chicago.  Although the highway officially no longer exists and has been replaced by the current Eisenhower Interstate System, a large portion of this legendary highway still exists and can be driven and enjoyed by travelers and adventurers.

Tulsa’s Route 66 Marathon was held on 22 November 2015, 89 years and 11 days after the Mother Road was established, and also the tenth anniversary of the event itself.  Coincidentally, this is the second marathon I’ve run that covered a small segment of the original U.S. 66, with the first being the Pasadena Marathon in May 2012 with a portion of the course crossing the Colorado Street bridge spanning Arroyo Seco.  That bridge, constructed in 1913, in all its glory is designated and listed as an ASCE Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.  Although most, if not all, runners may say, “so what”, to me, running across that bridge was exhilarating. 

In the city of Tulsa, a small section of Southwest Boulevard (Marathon Mile 11.5) and a small segment of 11th Street (Marathon Mile 19.7) near the University of Tulsa lies on the U.S. 66 alignment.  The original bridge paralleling Southwest Boulevard spanning the Arkansas River still exists, but closed to pedestrian and vehicular traffic.  I am happy the city is keeping it for historical significance.

The journey to Tulsa commenced at our local international airport in the early morning hours of 19 November.  A text message from the airline notified my wife that the flight to Denver was delayed due to “mechanical problems” experienced in Denver.  Of course, we would likely miss our original flight from Denver to Tulsa, so the gate agent rebooked us to a later flight that left at 2020 hours.  We found out we only missed the flight by a few gosh-darn minutes!  Oh well, what can one do?  It is what it is. 

After spending six hours in Denver people watching, eating lunch with a fourteen dollar food voucher given to us for the inconvenience of the delay (wow), and watching angry passengers unleash their frustrations on the gate agents, the skies started getting dark and cold and looked as if it would snow any moment as I was monitoring the weather with my weather app.  I overheard it was snowing heavily in Cheyenne, WY as flights were delayed and being redirected.  It was only a matter of time Denver would be receiving snowfall.  About an hour later, it began to snow and snowed heavily before our plane from ORD arrived.  The plane finally arrived pretty much on time, but we wondered if we were ever going to get out with all this snow and would end up spending the night in another airport.  That’s not what I signed up to do.

Once boarded, we spent over an hour sitting in the plane at the gate waiting for our turn at the de-icing station.  There were about six inches of snow piled on the plane’s wings getting deeper as the minutes ticked by, so ice was a real likelihood.  After the de-icing process was complete, it was our turn to roam the taxi ways of Denver’s large airport to taxi into position on Runway 8 for departure.  Even though I didn’t show it, I was a little apprehensive about taking off, but since large machines dispersed heated water-diluted Newtonian glycol fluids to create exothermic dissolution reactions that allowed for stronger melting power, any uncertainties about Bernoulli’s principle were alleviated.  In other words, the ice melted and we were finally off to Tulsa with an initial heading of 111.63°, more or less.

The Airbus A320 lifted off without incident after 2200 hours and by connecting my smart phone to the aircraft’s free on-board wi-fi, our ETA into Tulsa showed us ahead of schedule simply by exploiting a 165 mph tailwind.  During the flight, I thought of the classic song lyrics from Glen Campbell, “by the time [we] get to Oklahoma, [we’ll] be sleeping.”  That seemed to be the theme and that lyric created a cerebral redundancy I didn’t need at the moment.  It was after midnight when we landed on Runway 18L and was almost 0100 hours when we arrived at our hotel in the Deco District.  The hotel’s shuttle driver was there to pick us up to drive us to the hotel.  I bet he was tired of driving to and from the airport that day due to the arrivals of marathon runners from around the country.  Needless to say, our plans for a Friday exposition were dashed, but now that we were living on “Tulsa Time”, we could sleep in and take our time at Saturday’s exposition at the Cox Business Center.

When we were ready to saunter on over to the exposition, the cold temperatures hit us as soon as we stepped out of the hotel lobby doors, and factoring in the wind chill, it was bone-chilling cold.  Lucky for us, the Cox Business Center was only a few blocks away.  There we picked up our bibs, received our tenth anniversary jackets, purchased a couple of shirts, and even met up with Bart Yasso for a photo op.  What a great guy he is for allowing photos to be taken with him.

After leaving the expo, we hustled back to the hotel for our belongings and strolled up Main Street to our next hotel, while watching workers set up the marathon starting corrals.  From there, we walked up to Tulsa’s Brady Arts District for some lunch/dinner at Caz’s Chowhouse where I chowed down on a Cuban turkey sandwich with some fried okra. Afterwards, we walked over to the finish line area at Guthrie Green, honoring the late Woody Guthrie, then ambled on over to the Center of the Universe spot and listened to the reverberations of our voices as though we were speaking from the focal point in a geodesic dome.  This is not to be confused with a cosmological point of view advocated by Hoyle, et al, but rather in the vicinity of the Artificial Cloud sculpture located at the apex of the span of the old Boston Street Bridge between First and Archer Streets.  It was time to get out of the cold and into the warmth of the hotel room to rest up for Sunday’s marathon.  We noticed that the Naval Academy football team were staying at the same hotel for their game against Tulsa later that evening.  What a cold night for a football game, I thought!  The Midshipmen beat the Golden Hurricane 44-21, by the way.

The morning of Marathon Sunday was very cold, with temperatures in the low 20s in the Deco District.  The skies were crystal clear with calm winds, but it was a dry cold.  What wonderful weather for a marathon, clear and cold.  Just how I like it since I don’t do well in the heat and sun.  We were dressed warmly with garbage bags draped over us for added comfort, only to be discarded once running commenced.  We dropped off our bags at the Maniac Corner VIP tent conveniently set up at East Sixth and South Main Streets for members of the Maniacs, Fanatics and 50-staters a half block from the starting line.

As the start time drew near, the race announcer kept updating us how many minutes remained.  Everyone, including us, in Corral A lined up with excitement and expectations of a PR, although due to the hilly nature of the course, a PR was likely out of the question, at least for me.  After the National Anthem and a few parting words from the announcer, the gun sounded with the wheelchair athletes starting first and the rest of the masses starting a couple of minutes later, with a few minutes in between the corral starts.  With the sound of New Year’s Eve horns and confetti flying everywhere, the tenth running of the Route 66 Marathon was officially underway. 

The miles were uneventful and went fairly fast.  I was careful with my steps since the pavement conditions in some areas were not that favorable for running, especially with runners all around.  As an engineer, I understand the freeze-thaw effects of roads and pavements.  More than traffic, it is the changing thermal regime of the ground that affects the performance of road pavements in colder climates such as Tulsa.  With that said, I witnessed two runners hitting the pavement either by tripping or rolling an ankle with the abrupt edges from freeze-thaw damage.  They each said, “I’m ok!”  But I could see it on their faces they were in pain.  I’ve been there and done that.

With the rolling hills throughout the course, I was not going out too fast as was originally planned.  I wanted to conserve my glycogen reserves by not increasing the rate of glycolosis and to enjoy the scenery of the various neighborhoods and regions Tulsa had to offer.

The first several miles saw various cupressaceous trees mixed in with cedrus, ginko, acer, quercus, liriodendron, and pinus tree species lining the neighborhood streets of the various districts.  It being autumn, the deciduous trees adorned the streets with orange, green and red tones.  The fallen leaves in the streets posed hazards attributable to the morning frost being on the leaf surfaces.  As I would step on them, my foot would at times slip as I pushed off, so I avoided the sides of the streets and would instead run in the center to avoid the leaves.  Of course, this can lead to running longer distances. 

Various road and drainage designs always catch my eye while running.  I noticed several instances of improperly designed drainage catchments likely because of the older neighborhoods.  Around Marathon Mile 3, speed humps dotted the roadway.  It never ceases to amaze me of the improper speed zoning and designs of speed humps used in various communities.  These designs tend to delay emergency services and should only be used when critical speeds are around 29 mph (with proper designs, of course).  Anyway, off my soapbox, that’s a topic for another discussion. 

The spectators along the course were very supportive and encouraging.  As I ran by, I thanked the spectators for coming out for their support on such a cold day, the volunteers manning the water stations, and the Tulsa PD providing traffic control.  Although I didn’t partake, I enjoyed seeing the spectators lining the course providing Jell-O shots, alcohol, BBQ, fireball whiskey shots, pickles and assorted fruits and candies.  They looked enticing, but I wanted to avoid the possibility of an upset stomach, or worse.  So, I stuck with my usual GUs or energy bars.

Around Marathon Mile 22, University of Tulsa students (probably from a sorority) were handing out beer and other goodies.  I was thirsty enough and wanted the carbs, so I grabbed one.  It tasted good and was ice cold.  One of the students in the group was telling runners as they passed by, “you are so not almost there” and “this is not the last hill – just keeping it real!”  Such wonderful words of encouragement, but sometimes the truth hurts.  I must admit, I’ve said similar things to runners before, but ended with a positive note. 

I know race spectators are very well-intentioned when they tell runners they're close to the finish line.  But, in reality, marathoners don't want to be told “you’re almost there" unless the finish line is in actual sight.  Even if there's just a half mile left, it can feel like an eternity to get there. 

Reverse                                      Obverse
A unique part of this marathon is the Center of the Universe detour that adds another 0.3 mile for those wishing to visit the Center of the Universe spot and be presented with a medallion with an adage that you completed the world’s shortest ultra.  This detour came around Marathon Mile 25.5.  I confess, I was tired and by-passing the detour looked tempting, but I traveled all the way to Tulsa and was not going home without completing the detour.  The inclines on old Boston Street Bridge were killer, but the ice cold beer at the turnaround was perfect fuel to complete the course.  Once the detour was over and making the right turn back onto First Street, I was in the final homestretch with only one hill to surmount on Denver Avenue.  It was a struggle, but I had enough glycogen reserves necessary for the immediate conversion of glucose into ATP and NADH to finish strong by sprinting the final 100 yards, passing several runners along the way, and being acknowledged by Bart as a 50-stater as I crossed the timing mat.  I was happy with my time and enjoyed each and every mile of the course.  As for my Garmin, it read 26.78 miles, ±15 feet, in a time of 4:46:23.

God has blessed me in so many ways with the ability to run the marathon distance and, at times, it is a big challenge for me.  As always, I am extremely proud of my accomplishment every time I cross the finish line, no matter what my time may be.  The Route 66 Marathon is certainly no exception.

Upon crossing the finish line timing mat of this magnificent marathon, I headed over to the Maniac Corner VIP tent to partake in some adult beverages, eat some pork sandwiches, rehydrate, exchange the finisher medal with a 50-states finisher medal, top off protein levels with some Muscle Milk and most of all, relax and appreciate the feeling of finishing my 35th marathon and 19th state.  The flying goddess finisher medal with a spinning center piece marking the tenth anniversary is unique to this event and reminiscent of the nostalgic days of America’s Main Street.  I will always look back at my experience at Tulsa and will appreciate the unique finisher medal and the Center of the Universe medallion in my collection.  The only criticism I have is, where was the pizza?  Anyway, on to State Number 20!

After the conclusion of our finish line merriments at Guthrie Green, we lumbered back to the hotel just a few blocks away, showered, checked-out and boarded the airport shuttle.  Again, a text came to my wife’s phone saying our flight to Denver was delayed.  Wow, not again, I thought!  With a tight connection at DEN, the gate agent at TUL was kind enough to book us on the first flight out in the morning along with a hotel voucher, while still remaining booked on our original flight.  Lucky for us, our original flight home was delayed a few minutes, allowing my wife to run to the gate to hold the plane while I waited in the jet way for our bags to be unloaded.  Once I grabbed the bags, I ran through the airport, analogous to the 1978 Hertz commercial for those old enough to remember.  We were the last two to board the MD-80 aircraft.  It wasn’t long after we were seated to start push-back.  After a short taxi to Runway 25 for a straight-out departure, we were off and away.  When all was said and done, we made it and arrived home safe, but exhausted.  At least we had a short drive home instead of the long trek from LAX.
I enjoyed living on “Tulsa Time” during my weekend stay in Oklahoma.  “One day I’ll set my watch back to it, ‘cause you know me, I’ve been through it.” – Don Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment