Thursday, December 31, 2015

State Number 4 - Top of Utah


State Number 4 – Top of Utah Marathon, Logan, UT

15 September 2012

A month has passed since achieving a personal worst at the Mt. Sneffels Marathon in Colorado.  Now it was time to focus on the Top of Utah Marathon in Logan, UT.

I mention the personal worst here, but seem to forget about revealing my personal marathon best.  That was achieved on October 17, 2010 at the Long Beach Marathon in Long Beach, CA with a time of 3:56:24.  Although I could have used this event as State No. 1, while remaining in chronological order with my 50-state quest, the blog post of State No. 1 explains my reasoning.

My wife and I departed LAX Runway 25R the morning of 14 September on the usual LAXX Seven departure procedure for a non-stop United 737 flight to Salt Lake City (SLC).  The flight carried us over Las Vegas and up the I-15 corridor over Utah Lake for a straight-in approach to Runway 34R.

With family in the Logan and the Salt Lake City area, we combined this marathon trip with a family visit.

We rented a car at SLC for the ninety minute drive up to Logan.  We followed I-215 out of the airport area, but missed the exit to the I-15 merge.  Instead, we followed the Legacy Parkway (Utah State Route 67) where the speed limit abruptly dropped from 70 to 55.  Why on earth would a speed limit drop on a six-lane divided freeway in a rural locale?  With my curious mind, I had to find an answer – so I did some investigating. 

Legacy Parkway construction began in 2001; however, with challenges to NEPA’s environmental impact statement (EIS), Utahans for Better Transportation v. USDOT 305 F.3d 1152 (2002), Tenth Circuit, the construction ceased.  In short, the court ruled that the EIS was inadequate as it did not study other alternate routes that were less harmful to wetlands that the parkway was originally to be routed through.  A supplemental EIS changed the alignment of the highway.  The State of Utah and the Sierra Club officially signed a compromise regarding Legacy Parkway.  The compromise included no billboards along the route, no semi-trailer trucks allowed on the parkway (except in emergency circumstances or if there is construction on I-15), and a 55 mph maximum speed limit.  Traffic seemed to ignore the court-ordered speed limit as I learned from driving on the parkway.  I was on the lookout for state trooper vehicles so I stayed around 60 or so, as being lit-up in a rental car in another state was out of the question.  Original plans for the parkway had included a six-lane expressway, compared to the four-lane controlled-access parkway as currently exists.

As the Legacy Parkway merged back onto I-15, hunger set in so we exited at 200 North in Kaysville for lunch at Wingers Roadhouse Grill.  After perusing the menu, I decided to order a roadhouse burger with the classic buffalo sauce.  It was a messy burger, but very tasty.  After our brief lunch stop, it was onto Logan, only an hour away north of Kaysville.

As we arrived in Logan, we went directly to the expo location held at the Marriott SpringHill Suites hotel, Riverwoods event facility just off S. Main Street.  We arrived shortly before the expo opened its doors so we wondered around the area and walked down to the tree-lined Logan River listening to the soothing sounds of the water’s supercritical flows and hydraulic jumps over and around the boulders on the river bed.

Not long after the doors opened, a variety of your run-of-the-mill vendors greeted runners.  We proceeded to the packet pick-up tables to collect our swag-bag and tech shirts along with a few odds and ends from the various event sponsors and vendors. 

Next, it was off to my aunt and uncle’s home a few minutes from the hotel.  They were out running a quick errand, so we made our way in and enjoyed the peacefulness of their backyard deck overlooking the Logan River.  The weather was very pleasant for mid-September with temperatures in the low 80s.

As we were relaxing on their deck, they arrived home to greet us.  After an hour or so, we decided to take a drive up to the starting line at Hardware Ranch up the Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  Large tents had been set up for all the participants as well as some pace signs advising runners to line up according to their anticipated pace times.

Wellsville Mountains
The drive through the canyon afforded us the opportunity to see what lied ahead for Saturday’s marathon.  As we arrived back in Logan, the sun was beginning to set behind the Wellsville Mountains.  We were all getting hungry by this time and my uncle suggested we order dinner from Logan’s Café Sabor at the foot of West Center Street at 600 West.  The restaurant and cantina is located in an old railway depot and seemed to be a popular place with the locals.  The burritos we ordered with the freshly made tortillas were very tasty, not to mention the chips and salsa.  After dinner, we watched a little TV and turned in early so we can rest up for Marathon Saturday.

The Top of Utah Marathon began at Hardware Ranch at an elevation of 5,400 feet in the Wasatch Mountains southeast of Logan.  The ranch is a wildlife management area where wild elk are fed during the winter months to keep them from roaming into Cache Valley.  From the ranch, the race winds down Blacksmith Fork Canyon, passing river banks, marshes, limestone outcroppings, fall foliage, and cool canyon panoramas.  Moose, elk, deer, and many other species of wildlife make the canyon their home.

Starting line location
The first half of the race has a net elevation drop of 1,045 feet before reaching the Cache Valley at Marathon Mile 14.  The course followed mostly along side roads through the communities of Nibley, Millville, Providence, and River Heights before ending at Merlin Olsen Central Park, named after the late Logan native, actor and defensive tackle from the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams.  

All runners were required to board school buses at Merlin Olsen Central Park beginning at 0515 hours for transport to the Hardware Ranch start line, as the Blacksmith Fork Canyon Road was closed to all traffic.  My uncle was gracious enough to drive us to the park early Saturday morning.  We boarded a bus around 0530 for the long ride to the ranch.  Once at the ranch, the bus driver announced that the temperature was 29 degrees and wished us good luck.  On a side note, I hate riding on school buses as the seat clearances are too small for me, especially over a wheel well.  My knees were crammed into the seat in front so I had to sit at an angle.  After the 26-mile ride, I was ready to get off.

It was a crystal clear morning with the distant celestial objects shining brightly above us as the bus arrived at the start area.  Light pollution from the valley cities and communities was non-existent making star gazing very enjoyable.  The cold air hit us runners as we disembarked from the bus, but as for some of us, we weren’t primed for the cold temperatures, so we headed straight over to the warming tents set up with large heaters inside where hundreds of runners packed in to keep warm.  The warm air and shelter was a godsend as waiting for start time would have been agonizing without that luxury.

After a few Maniac group photos, the race announcer informed the runners to begin lining up according to their respective paces.  After the playing of our national anthem, it was time to start.  
Course profile
At 0655, the wheelchair athletes began their 26.2-mile journey.  As the horn sounded at 0700, the rest of the pack was off and running the Top of Utah Marathon.  It was quite cold at first, but as I started running, it wasn’t long before I warmed up. 

I took notice the magnificent geology of the steep canyon walls as daylight was dawning.  The canyon is part of the Bear River Range consisting of limestone, dolomite and sandstone outcrops of the Devonian (420 MYA), Mississippian (360 MYA) and Pennsylvanian (320 MYA) ages and were deposited in an ancient marine environment.  The Blacksmith Fork River is located in the Middle Bear-Logan sub-watershed encompassing approximately 265 mi2 of the Bear River Watershed in the Cache National Forest and is a tributary of the Logan River that intersects the Bear River at Cutler Reservoir in eastern Box Elder and western Cache Counties, an impoundment held back by the Arthur V. Watkins Dam used chiefly for flood control, irrigation and water supply purposes.  As the river exits the canyon, annual flows average 262 cfs with a one-percent exceedance peak of 1,730 cfs.

The autumn colors were beginning to paint the canyon walls and along the river channel.  Runners were able to absorb the diverse hues of box elder (Acer negundo), birch (Betula sp.), alder (Alnus sp.), willow (Salix sp.), aspen (Populus sp.), oak (Quercus sp.), ash (Fraxinus sp.) and maple (Acer sp.) interspersed with the greens of juniper (Juniperus sp.), spruce (Picea sp.), pine (Pinus sp.) and Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) as well as other broadleaf trees and shrubs in native and non-native grassy meadows.

Canyon colors

Besides the super wonderful volunteers staffing the aid and water stations, spectators were absent from the canyon portion of the course due to road closures.  That created a perfect opportunity for all to enjoy the scenery and silent surroundings.  Spectators became more plentiful shortly after Marathon Mile 14, where the course left the canyon and turned on to Hollow Road through the valley farm lands and into the communities of Nibley, Millville, Providence, and River Heights.

I crossed the timing mat at the half marathon point in a time of 2:08, for a 9:46 pace.  As the elevation lowered, the temperatures began to rise.  The sun was out in full force with limited shaded areas.  I knew that the second half was going to be challenging for me, but I was determined to beat my time from Mt. Sneffels.  I didn’t seem to experience any noticeable effect of the altitude as I did in Colorado.

I was feeling pretty good through 18 miles where I began to “hit the wall.”  I had taken some acetaminophen for pain earlier between Marathon Miles 14 and 15 and I kept hydrating and consuming my GU packs for needed glucose energy as I came across water stations.  I figure it was a combination of the heat and sun affecting my performance.

The remaining six to eight miles began to get tough.  Walking was becoming the norm as my body began to overheat with the rising temperatures.  When I approached River Heights near Marathon Mile 23, I received a text from my uncle as to a finish line ETA so he would have ample time to stake out a spot to watch my wife and I cross under the finish line banner.  I wasn’t able to give an accurate time, but thirty minutes was a fairly safe guesstimate.

Upon entering the downtown district of Logan, the final 2 ½ mile push to the finish was difficult.  Passing within one block of the finish line and knowing I still had a couple of miles remaining, I was able to see and hear the finish line announcer and all the spectators cheering finishing runners.  That was somewhat demoralizing in a way, but I kept telling myself that the finish was near and every step was one step closer.  I checked my Garmin while doing some mental calculations of an expected finish time.  Barring a catastrophic event, I knew I was going to better my time from Mt. Sneffels, but by just how much was indeterminate.

Logan Tabernacle
I used the remaining energy I had for the final push up and around the Logan Tabernacle and the last two blocks to the finish line.  The spectators lining the streets were very encouraging and supportive and provided me some determination to finish strong.  As I rounded the final turn onto S 200 E into the park, I saw my uncle and aunt cheering which lifted my spirits.  As the race announcer called my name, I was finished!

I was thrilled to receive my unique finisher medal and after a moment of reflection, I wandered over to get some chocolate milk, an ice cream sandwich, water and some various fruits and goodies.  By the time I sat down to enjoy the fruits of my labor, my wife came down the homestretch and crossed the finish line just a few minutes later.  Finishing a marathon before my wife is an infrequent occurrence, so when I do, I relish the moment.

Merlin Olsen Central Park
As she gathered up some nutrition and drinks, we sat down near the announcer’s booth for a few minutes eating, resting and contemplating our run and overall experience.  Soon after, we met up with my aunt, uncle and cousin from Idaho with her two kids.  It was a pleasure to see and have them rejoice in our marathon experience.

I was pleased with my time and appreciated each and every mile of the course.  Even though some of the later miles were tough going, I was proud of myself for conquering this challenge.   As for my Garmin, it read 26.34 miles ±15 feet, in a time of 4:40:43, a 10:43 pace. 

Age graded score: 48.04%.  Age graded time: 4:15:57.

When Sunday morning came, it was time for us to travel back to California.  We had a late afternoon flight back to LAX that gave us the opportunity to visit with my cousin from the Salt Lake area.  We dropped off the rental car at SLC and made arrangements for my cousin to pick us up at the rental car building.  For an excursion, she suggested Park City to visit the 2002 Winter Olympic venue and now training facility.  The last time I skied Park City was in April 1985, complete with a ghastly nose injury sustained the previous day at Snowbasin Ski Resort, but being there without any snow was really different.

There were plenty of summertime activities on the mountain.  We were lucky enough to enjoy watching freestyle ski jumping (into a pool), skeleton, luge and bob sled training.  The alpine slide and coaster rides were open to the public, so we dared ourselves to ride them.  These rides were quite a thrill as we reached speeds of around 30 mph.  At the conclusion of our adventures on the ski slopes, we drove into Park City for lunch/dinner at Buona Vita Cucina Italian restaurant on Main Street for some pizza.

After our mid-day meal, it was time to find our way back to the airport for our flight to LAX.  My wonderful cousin dropped us off at the United Airlines terminal, and after an EDETH THREE departure procedure from SLC Runway 34R, our two-hour flight landed at safely at LAX’s Runway 24R. 

I would recommend this marathon to anyone interested and would not hesitate to run it again.  The organizers were dedicated to presenting a top-notch event and to provide everyone with a gratifying stay in Cache Valley.  This is not a big city marathon, so don’t expect large crowds, but the experience of this marathon is outstanding, rewarding and worthwhile.  All the spectators and volunteers were wonderful and provided ample support, cheer and inspiration.  What can you say?  Beautiful canyon roads, pure air and a fast course for a BQ.

I dedicated this marathon to my late grandfather who would have celebrated his 97th birthday on that beautiful Saturday afternoon.  I acknowledged him as I crossed under the finish line banner thanking him for his strength to see me through to the end and for the wonderful time I spent with family in Logan and Salt Lake City.  How Swede it was.







No comments:

Post a Comment