Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Surf City Half Marathon


Surf City Half Marathon
Huntington Beach, CA
 2 February 2020

Another year of wondering.  What races do I have planned for 2020?  Besides running local half marathons and the Chicago and Honolulu Marathons in the latter part of the year, my marathoning schedule seems to be pretty much up in the air.  I look at it as a time to rest, recover and heal the body.

I thought I would kick off the new running year with the 24th annual Surf City Marathon and Half along the famed State Route 1 aka the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in Huntington Beach. 

Huntington Beach is a great place for a winter destination race, even on a weekend when locals would characterize the atmospheric conditions as “cold.”  It may be cold in their eyes, but based on my experience, February in SoCal can be warm to categorically hot. 

In 1963, the duo Jan and Dean popularized Surf City becoming the first surf song as a national hit.  In 2006, the official trademark of “Surf City, USA” was granted to Huntington Beach following frequent litigation with the city of Santa Cruz.

The course is pretty much a glorified out-and-back run beginning and ending on the PCH near the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort.  Basically, the race proceeds north up the PCH (throwing in some back roads and beach paths to make it interesting) and back to the start area.

Traditionally, Surf City always transpires on Super Bowl Sunday further adding to party dimension.  I’ve run both the Surf City Marathon and Half Marathon in years past (even completing the California Dreamin’ series at the time), but my preference certainly lies with the half marathon course.  Why?  It’s shorter and not having to contend with the narrow morale-busting 4.5-mile out-and-back trail of the marathon portion paralleling the shoreline strand while battling bicycles, pedestrians, surfboards and non-race related obstacles.  I digress.

My wife and I embarked on a 3.5-hour drive from our humble place of abode to Huntington Beach taking up temporary residence in nearby Fountain Valley just off the 405.  My training lacked any kind of consistency since my November races, so I decided to use Surf City as training grounds for my next half marathon in March.  I do not have any pacing responsibilities, so this race is for me – all mine to run whatever I feel like.  Perhaps I can employ the expertise of a race pacer and practice at the same time.

The Expo/Packet Pick-up

Held on expo Saturday, a new event that made its debut in 2019 is the Cowabunga Beach Challenge, a one-mile timed run held on the “award-winning sands of Huntington Beach.”  Runners receive a participant cape, commemorative bib and finisher’s medal.  Those who brave the viscid properties of soft beach sands and complete any one of the Sunday road races receive a “special” finisher’s medal.

Would I do such a challenge?  Perhaps.  But, running on the sand requires more energy and different mechanical work than with road running, contributing to possible foot and ankle injuries from the unpredictable and unstable surfaces of sand.  I resisted the challenge and chose to appease my ankles by running on the rigidity and stability of asphaltic surfaces.

There I am

Pitched on the expanse of a city beach parking lot adjacent to the PCH, large unventilated tents connected at the seams encapsulate the elements of the event expo.  The expo features a good number of sponsors with lots of products to try and embraces everything “Surf City USA” has to offer for all price points.  There are also yoga and relaxation sessions available.  The expo, as well as the start/finish, is conveniently located near both the Hyatt Regency and the Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort.


The Surf City expo is a fun place for photo-ops from surfboards and big beach chairs to Vintage VWs and customized Woodies.  Located outside of the expo walls, by tradition, car enthusiasts proudly display their customized classic VW bugs, vans and Woodies.  Everything from rusted, barely running jalopies to beautifully restored classics.  All surfing themed, of course. 

Let’s do this

Yo, duuuude.  Any rad barrels out there?  

As I glanced out beyond the sands of the famous shoreline and through the early morning foggy haze, the calm waves of the Pacific didn’t appear to be much of a surfer’s delight.  The calming sounds of the waves rushing up the sandy shoreline alleviated any pre-race jitters, nervousness or anxiety.

Saturday’s weather was truly a California Classic, with shoreline temperatures hovering around 80°F.  Generally, that would concern me.  But a weather front cut through the LA basin during the late evening hours dropping temperatures twenty degrees.  With a race day high temperature forecasted in the low to mid-60s, I wasn’t overly concerned about overcoming any heat-related performance issues I typically experience.

The marathon starts at 0630, the 5k at 0700, and the half marathon at 0745.  So, it’s possible to do both the 5k and half if you’re into that sort of thing.  I suppose many do complete the three-mile shakeout run given that the 5k starts nearly an hour before the half marathon.

After I dropped off my gear bag at the bag-drop, I squeezed through the portable fencing into a jammed packed runner’s corral, not where I wanted to position myself, but with the density of runners, I gave up the prospect of finding a spot closer to the start.  My bad.  I should have lined up a few minutes beforehand.  Coupled with the body heat from all the runners around me and the thick humidified air, I was anxious to get the show started and not stand around sweating like a pig.

Because of the substantial running field, organizers released a pre-determined number of runners in waves every sixty seconds, more or less.  I thought, “Great, how long will I need to stay cramped like a sardine before crossing the start line?”  It isn’t a place for those claustrophobic folks.

One week following the helicopter crash in Calabasas tragically claiming the lives of nine people – including NBA legend Kobe Bryant – Surf City paid homage to the crash victims in various ways. 

Following the national anthem, the race kicked off with a 24.2-second moment of silence – 24 for Kobe’s jersey number and 2 for his daughter’s jersey number – before the marathon and the half marathon.  All wave starts were sent off with an eight-second countdown in honor of Kobe’s original LA Lakers jersey number.  



Race start
Typical spectators
With approximately 10,000 amped up locals and Benny’s alike packed into the confines of the starting corral, the half marathon began with an on-time departure to the Beach Boys’ soundtrack Surfin’ USA and to the pomp and circumstance of families, friends and the cheers of local surfers from Huntington Beach’s surfing clubs.  By the time starters released my wave, it was already five minutes after eight o’clock.
Although clouds and fog dominated the atmosphere, hydration is still vitally important.  I made it a point to stop at each aid station to keep hydrated with water and electrolytes.

In a nutshell, the racecourse for both the marathon and half marathon are basically an out-and-back on the PCH with another out-and-back up to Seapoint View for the course’s only real incline; thence, its north on the PCH with a turnaround at Bolsa Chica.  From there, the half continues in a straight line of roughly five miles to the finish.  

Detailed Garmin map
However; at about Marathon Mile 16.5, Mile 12 (half), marathon runners veer off the PCH and head north again along an eight-foot wide beach pedestrian/bike path for 4.5 miles retracing their steps paralleling PCH, but this time with actual views of the ocean sans the six lanes of the PCH, to the last turnaround.  Runners then retrograde back along the same path to the PCH for the final half-mile sprint to the finish.

In that respect, the marathon has premium beach views as the half has marginal views at best, and running along the beach under palm trees is good for the soul.  

This year, runners confronted overcast conditions, while last year’s runners experienced rain and some ugly weather.  Some years are sunny and hot – while some cool and pleasant.  While temperatures in the 70s may be more conducive for a post-race nap on the beach or by the hotel pool, the overcast and cooler weather this year made for near ideal running.

The first two-plus miles of the race are flat and fast, running northbound along the PCH.  Immediately after beginning my race, I felt the unpleasant impacts of the damp tropical-like air.  Within the first mile, my sunglasses steamed up forcing me to abandon the use of UV protection.  As sweat began to drip off the bill of my running cap, nose, chin and down into my eyes, I realized I was in for a long sweaty day.  My legs felt like they weighed a ton, but I hoped they could shed some weight as the race evolved.

Because of the large volume of runners charging down the highway, weaving and meandering around slower runners over the first miles and settling into some kind of groove proved to be a difficult endeavor.  At times, I became annoyed by those running ahead of me, keeping pace, then suddenly stopping to check their phones.  Just if they would focus on their run and forget about their damn phones for the next two or so hours.

As I cruised up the PCH, I had to do a double-take.  Not because of a large number of runners wearing Kobe jerseys, but because of a half marathon runner wearing your run-of-the-mill flip-flops, donning swim trunks while clutching a surfboard under his arm.  I thought surely, he wasn’t a registered runner, but I learned after the race he was out to set a Guinness world record.  Crazy.  Does one really exist?  I guess it does now.  He finished in 2:13:55.  

Simplified map
Shortly before Mile 3, runners make a quick right-angled turn onto Seapoint Street and smack dab into a large group of high school kids cheering so loud I thought for a moment I was the lead runner!  It's amazing how crowd support quickens your step and lights the fire within, even at Mile 3. 

As I glanced up Seapoint, I was in awe to see such an endless stream of runners, marathoners and half runners, going up and coming down the course’s only hill.

I took another right turn onto Garfield Avenue and hit the only set of hills in the race.  Following a left onto Edwards and a left onto Overlook Drive, runners reach the pinnacle of the course circling around “The Bluffs” gated development and back down the hill merging on to Seapoint.  Marathon runners continued another 4.5 miles looping through Huntington Beach’s Central Park before they get to view the same wetlands area. 

The name Overlook Drive is certainly apropos with “scenic” views of the Bolsa Chica wetlands and scattered oil rigs, pumpjacks, tanks, pipelines and access roads crisscrossing much of the site.  From what I learned, it’s a long work in progress converting this area into a wildlife refuge and habitat.  Then, it was back down the hill connecting to the PCH just short of Mile 6. 

Runners continued north on PCH before the turnaround just after Mile 8.5 and then five long miles in a southerly direction to the finish line.  I felt my pace beginning to wane into a sluggish, listless snail's pace as the boredom of the PCH, dull scenery, and the tropical atmosphere gradually began to affect my running.  

This was easily my least favorite part of the race with more than six miles on six lanes of asphalt.  With zero shade, temperatures became increasingly warmer as the low cloudiness began to succumb to the sun’s energy.  I downed two cups of water and some Nuun electrolyte drinks, being mindful to keep hydrated.
Sights of the Pacific Ocean were sparse as artificial dunes and RVs obstructed much of any picturesque views of Bolsa Chica State Beach, only adding to my boredom.

Just past Mile 12 (half) or Marathon Mile 16.5, marathon runners leave the PCH, head northbound and run along the pedestrian/bike path at Bolsa Chica State Beach for a 4.5-mile out and back, essentially retracing their steps along PCH, but this time with actual views of the ocean sans the six lanes of the PCH.  Knowing I did not have to take that side trail, I felt additional inspiration and motivation to continue the final push to the finish.

I began to pick up my pace for the final mile, at least I thought, but, my Garmin told me otherwise.  My legs still felt heavy and leg turnaround was not what I wanted, but I kept pushing passing many who passed me earlier.  At the Mile 13 marker as the finish line came into view, signs directed marathoners to keep right and halfers to keep left.  I pushed my pace to around a nine-minute mile, passing over the timing mat with a paltry 2:18:17.  Disappointing?  Certainly, but better than expected.

Amazing volunteers handing out medals
Post-finish, I received my gnarly surfboard medal, scooped up some liquid refreshments, grabbed some grub and rushed over to the expo tent to retrieve my drop-off bag.

While waiting for my wife to cross the finish line in her marathon race, I found an empty chair tucked away in the corner of the tent, sat down and ate my finish line food.
Finisher's medals - gnarly huh?

RACE STATS:

Distance: Half marathon (13.1 mi).  My Garmin measured 13.17 miles.
Date: 2 February 2020
Bib No.: 20510
Weather at start: 57°F, foggy, muggy, no breeze
Gun time: 2:33:33
Chip time: 2:18:17
Average pace: 10:32 per mile
Average cadence: 158 steps per minute
Overall rank: 4272 of 9438
Gender rank: 2467 of 4195
Division rank: 181 of 377
Elevation: 157 ft gain / 171 ft loss
Age graded score: 49.26%
Age graded time: 1:58:31
Garmin splits: 9:38, 10:07, 10:02, 10:12, 11:27, 9:49, 10:03, 10:25, 10:58, 10:32, 11:13, 11:33, 10:49, 9:01 (remaining 0.17)

LIKES / WHAT WORKED:

·         Very well-organized event from packet pick-up, immediate online results, the well-stocked aid stations along the course to bag drop and pick up.
·         Great expo.  Nicely organized and lots of freebies and merchandise.
·         SoCal weather in February.
·         Mostly flat course.
·         Unique wood surfboard finisher’s medal with genuine HB sand, free beer at the beer garden, live post-race entertainment, long-sleeve event tech shirts, yoga and massage.
·         Super friendly and enthusiastic volunteer support at aid stations.
·         Great spectator support.
·         Great traffic control and course monitors.
·         No significant climbs.
·         Super easy FREE parking and convenient shuttle service race morning.
·         Fully stocked aid stations with water and electrolytes.

DISLIKES / WHAT DIDN’T WORK:

·         Some nice parts; however, the PCH portion, almost ten miles of which, can become pretty monotonous and droning.  But hey, finding a marathon in February that is dry and warm isn’t easy.
·         Beer garden is super crowded and must wait and navigate through hundreds of runners.  No place to sit and cannot take beverages out of the fenced-off area.
·         For those who thrive off crowd support, there isn't much on the PCH from Mile 8 to the finish.
·         The weather can be hot and you can’t hide from it over the final miles – especially for the marathon runners.  Make sure to wear a hat, sunscreen and stay hydrated.  To minimize any heat-related effects, race officials start the marathon near sunrise.
·         The late start for the half marathon.  Combine that with the multiple wave starts, runners can expect to start after 0800.

Final thoughts:

This year, Surf City embraced1349 finishers in the marathon, 9438 in the half and 2473 in the 5k, totaling 13,260 runners.

The organization’s intense focus on Surf City being such a draw is evident.  The crowd support was awesome while in the city, but once out on the PCH, there were very few spectators to mention.  And the bands?  I guess they were good, but since you only hear them for ten to thirty seconds at a time, they don’t really add to the experience that much.  The best part of the race (besides the first four miles) was probably the traditional bodacious surfboard finisher’s medal participants get to flaunt upon finishing.  Some runners were lucky enough to sport a cleverly designed sea turtle medal for those who completed the Beach Cities Challenge (The OC, Long Beach and Surf City).

Beach Cities Challenge award
Surf City manages to sell-out each year.  Why?  I have little to support this theory, but I believe it’s because people love to run, HB is a popular beach and surfing destination, and the comradery with spectators, runners and organizers make this such a popular event – not to mention the weather.  

At the end of the day, Surf City was a bit of a letdown to kick-off to the new running year.  To be honest, I’m not sure what I learned during my small contribution to Surf City.  My running these days has clouded my ability to derive any meaningful lessons from the experience; namely, did I enjoy running this distance, so far from a small city or gimmicky location?  Did I only “love” the run because every runner that I passed was a stroke to my ego?  Had I run sub-two hours instead, would I still have enjoyed the consistent, repetitive and dreary route?  Maybe. 

Tennessee’s Mockingbird Marathon was as monotonous as it can get, but I still loved that race (though, in all fairness, I ran a dreadfully slow time there too, so once again, my judgment is unreliable).  It would sadden me a little to learn that I wouldn’t run or train without a finish line to reach.

But one thing is certain, Surf City is an attractive destination race and I’m glad I crossed the finish line along with thousands of other runners.  I’m glad I built up just enough crazy to venture to Huntington Beach for a “threepeat.”  Even with a less-than-stellar time and all the sparkle and hype of Surf City, I felt the palpable energy in the air with thousands of competitors and racers.  And now, with this race firmly under my belt, it’s time to start the running year with a renewed attitude.

Will I run Surf City again in the future?  Probably not given the present course.  But, if event organizers modified to course to render a much more scenic and less humdrum adventure, count me in.

Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment