Friday, May 12, 2017

State Number 31 - Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz


State Number 31 – Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz

Olathe, KS

 

22 April 2017

During my early childhood years, the opening scenes of The Wizard of Oz frightened me as Dorothy’s house is swept away by a tornado from a farm in Kansas to the magical Land of Oz.  She embarks on a mystic quest with her new friends following the yellow brick road to see the Wizard who can help her return home to Kansas.

My brother and I became a little frightened of the destructive forces tornadoes can inflict and we asserted that if our parents ever drove through the State of Kansas, we would make certain they hang some curtains over the car windows so we wouldn’t see a tornado.  Crazy that it may seem, but to young inquisitive minds, it was a sense of realism.  But what was real, was the yellow brick road of the Garmin Marathon.

My wife and I embarked on an overnight excursion to Olathe, Kansas on a Spirit Airlines non-stop flight from LAX to Kansas City, MO (MCI).  We each sported a small back pack complete with a change of clothes and the necessary incidentals in an effort to avoid carry-on charges.

The weather was rather windy and a little chilly and the rain had stopped just as we arrived at MCI.  Saturday’s forecast was predicted to be partly cloudy with cool temperatures – but no rain.  Ideal running weather!

Approximately half-hour south of the airport, the Embassy Suites Olathe functioned as the site of the marathon expo and packet pick-up.  The expo was larger than most smaller-sized marathons and was well represented with a variety of vendors, with Garmin as the title sponsor displaying the latest in Garmin gear, GPS watches and gadgets.  After we obtained our goody bags and perused the expo, we left for our hotel a few miles up I-435 in Shawnee.

The Wicked Witch
Instead of our usual pre-marathon pizza dinner, we opted for Mexican food at Jose Pepper’s Cantina.  Delicious burritos, but the chips/salsa were fantastic.

The marathon and half had a scheduled start time of 0645.  We left in plenty of time to find a parking spot.  Traffic was flowing smoothly until we merged onto KS Route 10.  A mile-plus long line of red tail lights lit up the early morning darkness.  The vehicle queue was moving less than 10 mph.  “OMG”, we thought.  With a half-hour to go, being late for the start was a real possibility.  Police should have directed traffic through the traffic signals on Ridgeview Road as vehicles came off KS-10.  As it was, traffic stopped at red and waited for an entire cycle before continuing.  If traffic flowed in one continuous motion, delay times and levels of service would improve significantly.

Being sneaky by passing most vehicles, we snuck in at the Ridgeview Road off ramp.  From there, it was relatively easy to find our parking spot about 200 yards from the finish line area.  With a few minutes to spare, an announcement over the PA indicated a start time of 0700 – then 0710, due to the unnecessary traffic gridlock.

Participants were given the opportunity to park and catch a start-line shuttle bus at a nearby church complex.  As we snuck around the traffic queue, it was apparent that the buses were also caught up in the traffic delay.  I would think that if one were to catch a shuttle bus, the bus would be given priority by using a faster alternative way to the start.  I thought to myself, as an engineer, I could have designed a more efficient way to handle access, circulation and parking.  I just hope the race organizers take some of the angry criticism from participants and design a more efficient system.  If that includes moving the start/finish line area to another place, then so be it.  I digress.

The 2017 marathon course is basically similar to 2016 with some minor tweaks here and there.  Runners were becoming anxious and ready to hit the pavement as time went on.  Many dressed as characters from The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy carrying a basket with Toto, Scarecrow, etc.  There was even a red dragon costume driven by ten different runners who desire to set a record in the marathon run.  A red dragon in The Wizard of Oz?

While killing time in the start line, I talked with a local runner who said that the Garmin Marathon and bad weather are synonymous.  Dark overcast skies and cool temperatures prevailed at the start.  To me, it looked as if the usual bad weather would accompany the marathon keeping the tradition alive.

Finally, in front of the INTRUST Bank building, it was go time.  After the singing of the National Anthem, the 2100 or so runners embarked on their respective journeys down the Yellow Brick Road (well, maybe an asphalt concrete colored road) under a large American flag hanging from an extended ladder attached to a piece of fire apparatus.

The course presented itself with a nice downhill grade for the first half mile or so before leveling off to some rolling hills.  Just one week post Rhode Island, I wasn’t feeling my best and decided to just take it slow with a goal of clocking in at 2:10 at the half marathon split, and finishing in under five hours.

I began with the four-hour pace group, but apparently the pacer’s strategy was to start out much slower than the required 9:10 pace.  To me, increasing the pace in the latter half of the marathon is a bit dicey, but if they could do it, more power to them.

I felt comfortable plugging along at a 9:40 pace, in the meantime, charging ahead of the pacers.  I realized it was only a matter of time before they caught me, but as long as I reach my objectives, I’m happy.

The first half of the marathon meandered through mostly residential neighborhoods with commercial districts scattered along the way.  I had some interesting conversations with a number of other runners making the miles seem to fly by.

I crossed the 10 km split in a time of 59:56.  I came upon a lady seeming to struggle just after the 10 km point.  She was running the half marathon and was focused on a PR in under 2:09.  I mentioned that I pace 2:10 half marathons and was happy to supply needed encouragement and pacing so she can reach her PR.

We crossed the 11 mile split point together.  My split time was 1:46:17 (9:40 pace).  She began to fade just before Marathon Mile 12 as we headed up a gradual hill on College Blvd. towards the finish line.  Soon after the twelfth mile, we parted ways as the marathon route turned towards the Mill Creek Trail for the second half of the course.  I’m not sure if she got her PR, but I hope she did.

The clouds began to break, the winds were picking up and the temperatures were on the rise.  I began to get worried the sun and warm temperatures were going to affect my running.  But I just had to move along.  As always, as soon as the half marathon runners turn away to the finish line, the number of runners dwindles, leaving the marathon runners in a solitary world.

The 4:15 pacer overtook me as I turned onto the uphill portion of W 114th Street crossing the half marathon point located at the brow of the hill in a time of 2:09, more or less.  The steep little hill abruptly turned into a nice steep downhill leading to the Gary L. Haller Trail along the scenic Mill Creek Streamway Linear Park.

Aside from one mile of city streets, the pedestrian/bicycle trail consumed practically the second half of the marathon.  The well-maintained six-mile out and back trail portion of the course parallels Mill Creek with lots of rolling hills, park settings, picnic grounds, playgrounds, bends and wooden planked bridges spanning the calm and tranquil Mill Creek.  The arboreal surroundings provided abundant shade and cool temperatures.

I crossed paths with the lead marathoner around Marathon Mile 14 as he approached me coming in the opposite direction.  I admit I was a little jealous as he was already nearing Marathon Mile 25.  He appeared strong, but had a slight worn-out look as well.  I thought, “OMG, he’s eleven miles ahead of me!”

I kept plugging along the trail enjoying the cool shade and scenery with some brief conversations with fellow runners.  The four-hour pace group of about five runners overtook me just past Marathon Mile 17.  I thought he would have passed me miles ago, but I guess he really picked up the pace during the second half.  Shortly after the pace group passed me, runners dressed in the red dragon costume pranced by me.  I was amazed that all ten runners were still intact.  Perhaps they will set that record of some kind.

The trail passed under a highway viaduct before crossing an old highway bridge from a bygone era near Marathon Mile 18.  I took an interest in the old moss-covered concrete bridge with the words “BEAT YESTERDAY” painted on each side.  The old bridge architectural styles and designs aren’t seen anymore and I was glad the bridge was put to good use.

I crossed paths and high-fived my wife coming in the opposite direction at Shawnee Mission Park about a half-mile from the turnaround at Marathon Mile 19.5.

When I made the turnaround in a time of 3:19:38, I had 6.5 miles left on the yellow brick road back to the Land of Oz.  I had forty minutes left to run a sub-four and catch the pacer – not a chance!  With all the nutritional supplements I consumed, I was feeling pretty good, but not that good.  The aches and pains were kept at a minimum, but my lower back was beginning to hurt.

I crossed that wonderful old bridge again and reentered the shady portion of the course.  Now, the rolling hills seemed like climbing mountains.  Gee, they weren’t that bad going the other way.  Walking was now becoming the norm, but I didn’t mind, I enjoyed the tranquility of my surroundings, even with the horns and sounds of the many diesel locomotives pushing their way through the region.

My wife texted me that she had finished as I was approaching Marathon Mile 24.5 and my lower back was really bothering me.  Even so, I was focused and determined to finish in under five hours.

I couldn’t believe it, I was finally at Marathon Mile 25.  The leader I saw some two hours earlier was likely long gone from the finish line area.  As I came out of the trail’s shaded area and into a rural clearing, a stiff head wind blew across the region.

Just the right distance
Soon after Marathon Mile 25, a fork in the trail led runners back onto a paved Class I pathway paralleling College Blvd.  The steep incline up to College was demoralizing.  The climb was tough (even when walking) and upon reaching the top, the hill continued, but only as a mild sustained positive grade.  With the gusty head winds, running the last mile more or less proved to be a difficult endeavor. 

When I made the final left turn back onto Ridgeview Road from whence I began, the gates of the Emerald City were nearly a half-mile away on the horizon.  It reminded me of Boston’s infamous left turn onto Boylston Street with the finish line off in the distance, yes, it’s farther than it actually looks.


Remember the downhill at the start of the marathon?  Well, it was uphill at the finish.  The winds and that uphill grade made it very difficult for me to run strong so I resorted to a slow jog.  My back was aching and my cap nearly blew off my head several times, so instead of fighting with it, I turned it around and charged to the finish in a time of 4:46:27.  I was literally spent and was glad I was done and my Garmin read 26.27 miles, so I didn’t have to run any farther than I had to.

Age graded score: 49.69%

Age graded time: 4:15:14

 

My fabulous diploma
After I received my really cool finisher’s medal featuring a rotating image of the Wizard surrounded by yellow bricks, it was off to the Royal Palace of Oz for some food and drink – beer!  Yes, free beer and margaritas guys!  I’m not a huge margarita fan, so forget the margaritas.
I grabbed some bananas, bagel slices, chicken teriyaki sandwich, beer and a hot dog for my after-run snack.  I sat down under a large tent canopy in the beer garden area next to the INTRUST Bank drive-up teller area to escape the annoying wind.  A few margaritas were sitting on a table in the sun, melting and I would imagine, yucky tasting.  After my wife brought me a windbreaker to relieve the chill, I was good to eat, relax and talk with another runner hailing from Oregon.

We had a late afternoon flight from MCI back to LAX.  We were kindly granted a super late check out at the hotel, so we had ample time to clean up before departure.  We stopped at a Kansas City McDonald’s to charge our phones, have a drink and relax a bit prior to dropping off the rental car and shuttling back to the airport.  We closed our eyes, tapped our heels three times and said, “There’s no place like home!”

So, what did I like about the Garmin Marathon? 

  • Appreciated Mother Nature for the non-traditional nice weather she bestowed upon us.
  • The expo and packet pick up.  Great venue for the expo with plenty of room and vendors. 
  • The incredible volunteers and those dressed in costume complementing the Oz theme. 
  • The finisher’s medal!
  • Even though I didn’t see them, but if I did, the flying monkeys hanging from the trees along the Haller Trail.  Hmmm, as I watched The Wizard of Oz as a kid, I hated the flying monkeys!
  • The great food and drink at the finish line.
  • The course.  It was scenic and challenging enough for a runner like me.
  • This was a smaller-sized race.  The roads were wide enough to provide plenty of room for runners without worrying about tripping someone from behind.

What were the things I particularly didn’t care for?

  • The traffic getting to the start line area in Munchkin Country!
  • The wind – but there’s nothing the race director or anyone else can do about that.
  • The course is not wickedly fast.  Maybe some claim it is, but I wouldn’t consider it a PR course.

As a suggestion, I like the idea of placing a long piece of yellow carpet at the finish line affording runners with a picture-perfect touch as they cross the finish into Emerald City.  I was pleased to have completed this annual event and my 31st state.  Although there were not a ton of spectators, I didn’t mind, but they were still awesome and supportive.  The course is scenic and hilly (but not too bad) and showcases Olathe, but the out and back portion may be a little boring for some, however.

My main criticism of this event is the lack of efficiency with parking and traffic congestion, to which a vast majority of participants would likely attest.  I urge the race organizers reevaluate this subject matter and meet with the appropriate professionals to devise a circulation plan for better traffic control and access points in an effort to reduce the levels of service.  Priority should be given to shuttle buses as an incentive to runners who desire to use this mode of transportation. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment