Friday, January 15, 2016

State Number 6 - Missoula Marathon


State Number 6 – Missoula Marathon, Missoula, MT

14 July 2013

 
Ten weeks after the Tacoma Marathon, the west-central Montana city of Missoula was the destination of my seventeenth marathon and the second marathon of 2013.

This was my first official visit to the Big Sky State, so I wanted to make this trip somewhat of an outdoor adventure.

On 6 July 2013, an unfortunate event transpired at San Francisco International Airport (SFO).  While attempting to land, Asiana Flight 214 arriving from Seoul, South Korea crashed short of SFO’s Runway 28L killing two and injuring 168.

Instead of flying out of LAX, my wife and I made a 3.5 hour drive on Friday, 12 July to SFO for a non-stop United Airlines flight to Missoula International Airport Johnson-Bell Field (MSO), since SFO was the only airport that offered non-stop flights to MSO from California.  I am never a fan of connecting flights, unless absolutely necessary, as delays can affect connections to destination airports.  So, if there is an economical non-stop option, I’m taking it. 

The flight from SFO was pretty much on-time.  As we departed Runway 1L, passengers on the right side of the plane were able to see the activity of the Asiana casualty.  It was obvious that Runway 28L was closed, but 28R was open to inbound aircraft.  From the flight information boards in the airport terminal, I noticed that flights from other airports were, to some extent, delayed as a consequence of only one active runway.  Immediately, I wondered if our return flight from MSO was going to be delayed.

The 2h 10m flight took us over Lake Tahoe; Boise, ID; Salmon, ID; up the Bitterroot Valley with an arrival over Missoula and a left-turn final approach to Runway 29.

Grizzly bear at MSO
MSO is a medium sized airport serving five commercial airlines with six gates.  The terminal building is decorated in an outdoor theme with professionally mounted displays of various animals.  The display of an 8-9-foot tall grizzly bear standing on its hind quarters over a large trout immediately caught my eye.  That’s something I wouldn’t want to encounter in the wild.

It was about 1330 hours when we took custody of our rental car for the weekend.  It was a quick trip out of the airport property and onto West Broadway Street en route to our hotel.  

We were hungry as we entered the city, so we first stopped at a nearby Wendy’s for lunch.  The pretzel bacon cheeseburger was a new item on the menu at the time, so we each tried one.  Frankly, the picture looked better than the burger we received.  It wasn’t bad, but I don’t think I would order it again. 

Our weekend domicile was Ruby’s Inn Missoula on North Reserve Street.  Coincidentally, the National Smokejumpers Association was having its annual convention at the hotel that weekend.  Needless to say, there were a lot of current and retired smokejumpers and their families from around the country roaming around the complex.

Smokejumpers are most often deployed to fires that are extremely remote.  They have the capability of reaching wildfires shortly after ignition when it is still relatively small and extinguishing the blaze before it becomes a problem to forest lands and the public.  When there is no significant fire activity, smokejumpers can also be used for outside fire suppression in work assignments such as forestry, disaster relief and emergency management.  Missoula is home to the U.S. Forest Service’s smokejumper headquarters and base just west of the airport.

Watch for drunks!
After establishing ourselves in our room, we donned our running clothes for the annual pre-marathon beer run.  This years’ beer run began at the Iron Horse Brew Pub at the corner of Higgins and Spruce in downtown.

Dozens of runners from around the country and Canada participated in the informal annual fun run.  Participants could choose to run either the 5K or 5-miler.  Since we didn’t want to overdo ourselves, we chose to run an easy 5K just enough to loosen the muscles and warm up for the marathon. 

A few minutes prior to the start, a typical summer-time thunderstorm approached Missoula from the south.  Lightning bolts streaked across the sky as reverberations of thunder echoed throughout the city streets supplemented with a heavy downpour lasting for a few minutes.  I would wager an intensity of approximately two inches per hour fell in those few minutes.  Once the storm passed and the skies turned blue again infused with the aromatic smell of fresh clean air characteristic of thunderstorms, the beer run commenced.

Olympian Jeff Galloway was the featured runner who, every year, is active in making the Missoula Marathon an extraordinary event.  With Jeff leading the way, runners headed easterly down Spruce Street, thence up Greenough Drive towards Greenough Park traversing the paved trail through the forested area of the park alongside Rattlesnake Creek to the northeasterly extent of the park’s boundary.  From there we crossed the creek over a timber bridge and made the return trip back down Monroe Street with the park on the right side and homes to the left.

As runners exited the park and crossed under the I-90 freeway, we continued to Madison Street, thence right through the stately neighborhood of East Pine Street under the shade of the silver and Norway maples, (Acer saccharinum) and (Acer platanoides); respectively, thence back to Higgins Avenue finishing in the Iron Horse parking lot as the Big Sky Brewing Company served various assortments of ice cold beer.

We partook in some adult beverages, talked with a few people and listened to some music in the parking lot before deciding to have a meal at the pub.  I ordered an Iron Horse quarter-pound burger with all the accoutrements.  After the energy our meal gave us, we made our way over to the University of Montana campus for a hike up to the “M” on Mt. Sentinel. 

According to a sign at the trail head, the “M” on the west face of Mt. Sentinel has been a local landmark since the early 1900s when the university’s forestry club hauled stones up the slope to shape the school’s symbol.  Concrete soon replaced the original versions of the “M” in the late 1960s and remains that way today.

Endless switchbacks
The hike was quite strenuous with eleven switchbacks for an elevation gain of about 650 feet.  I noticed several people running up the trail as part of their training regimen.  I don’t know if they were running the marathon, but if they were, they were crazy!    

The views from the “M” were spectacular.  We had a great view of the university, the city and the valley.  The large white colored concrete slab in the shape of a giant “M” was peppered with graffiti, initials, dates and other unmentionables chiseled into the monolithic slab.

The trail also affords hikers a great view of the waterlines etched into the slopes of Mt. Jumbo to the north and along the slopes of Mt. Sentinel resulting from ancient Glacial Lake Missoula.

The glacial lake was formed as a result of an ice sheet some 12,000 years ago that dammed the Clark Fork River as it entered Idaho’s panhandle.  The rising water impoundment behind the glacial dam weakened it until water burst through in a catastrophic flood that inundated parts of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon as it funneled toward the Pacific Ocean.  The waves and debris of ice eroded soils and mountainsides creating the scablands of eastern Washington and carved the Columbia River Gorge east of Portland, OR.  It would be a thought-provoking exercise to run hydraulic software, such as U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ HEC-RAS, to model the dam failure and to predict the reservoir outflow hydrograph and the routing of that hydrograph through the downstream valleys to determine dam failure consequences.

After our hike to the “M”, it was time to head back to the hotel to relax in the hot tub and get some rest.

As Saturday morning dawned, we drove over to Caras Park for our race packet and expo.  The park overlooks the Clark Fork River and Brennan’s Wave, a man-made wave in the river that gives local kayak aficionados a spectacular whitewater feature for their enjoyment and practice.

On that Saturday morning, Jeff invited anyone interested to join him for a group hike up to the “M”.  Although that would have been fun, we just didn’t have the time.

Instead, we had reservations with 10,000 Waves Raft & Kayak Adventures for some whitewater rafting of our own on the Clark Fork River outside of Alberton, about a half hour west of Missoula.  It is said that the river boasts the best-sustained whitewater in western Montana.  We were about to find out.

We met the company river guides at the raft put-in area at the popular Cyr fishing access site on Sawmill Gulch Road at Exit 70 on I-90.  After signing our lives away on the release forms and following a brief safety demonstration, we slid the rafts down the slide and into the river. 

Each raft held six occupants with the river guide at the stern who controlled the raft.  The trip took rafters down the river through the Alberton Gorge created by Glacial Lake Missoula.  The gorge contains some magnificent rock formations and dramatic cliffs rising vertically on both sides of the river.  Our guide was knowledgeable in the geological features; however, I did manage to provide some insight into river hydraulics and some geological features.  He seemed surprised and asked me what I do for a living.  I did get a kick out of that.  The six of us were able to see lots of birds, including osprey, mergansers, bald eagles, kingfishers and hawks.  

We were joined by a good-humored family from North Dakota who provided some great entertainment for the duration of the trip.  We all had a great time with some big-volume whitewater and fantastic scenery.  The weather was perfect with temperatures hovering around 80°F and, as usual, I ended up with a sun burn from the direct sun exposure.  I was worried about how the energy expenditure and the sun burn would affect my marathon running.  I found out that neither affected me – at least I think.

Fantastic whitewater
The rapids before the Triple Bridges area were just a warm-up of things to come.  The whitewater became more fearsome as we approached Split Rock, Tumbleweed, and finally Fang.  For added thrills and excitement, we were allowed to sit on the boat’s bow traversing some of the milder rapids.

In areas of tranquil water, we managed to find ourselves in some entertaining water battles with other rafters.  Everyone was using their paddles to splash water on others, while other rafters exploited large squirt guns they had in their arsenal. 

After a few miles of various classes of whitewater, the river guide directed us to paddle towards a sandy shore at the mouth of Fish Creek for a brief lunch snack, swimming and relaxation.  This was a great little beach area and we took notice of its whereabouts in hopes we could come back after the rafting trip.  At the end of the day, we were unable to find this spot as we drove some of the back roads of Lolo National Forest.

The little respite lasted about thirty minutes and it was back to the river.  For the next four miles or so, we encountered more exhilarating whitewater chutes.  I found a way to anchor myself pretty well, so I wasn’t afraid of falling out. 

As we approached the take-out area at Tarkio, buses and other vehicles were waiting on the shore to transport rafters back to Cyr.

I am by no means an experienced rafter, kayaker, or canoeist, but I did enjoy the experience immensely.  I was a little nervous with some high classes of whitewater, but after experiencing the thrill, I am a little more comfortable for the next time.  We had a great river guide who was quite knowledgeable of the area and what to expect as we approached each rapid.  I would recommend anyone interested in whitewater rafting to consider this day trip expedition.

We arrived back at the hotel at around 1800 hours to clean up from the day’s river expedition.  We decided to have pizza for dinner at MacKenzie River Pizza Co. on W. Front Street, a stone’s throw from Caras Park.  The restaurant serves creative pizza pies, but we stuck with the usual cheese pizza and a beer.  I know, a great meal before a marathon, but, for me, it works.  It was a great way to end an adventurous day.

Early Sunday morning, our alarm wakened us at 0430 giving us time to ready ourselves and to drive into downtown to board shuttle buses to the start line.  The bus loading area was at Higgins Avenue and Broadway Street not far from the historic county courthouse.  We boarded the bus around 0500 for the half hour ride to Frenchtown where runners disembarked at the Clark Fork Valley Bank, a short walk to the start line on Mullan Road.  My wife and I sat down along the side of a wind sheltered wall of the bank building in an effort to keep warm.

It was quite cold that Sunday morning.  As soon as I removed my warm-up clothes, it wasn’t long before I started to shiver.  During the playing of the national anthem, I noticed many runners shivering with chattering teeth and were anxious to get the race started.  The marathon web site purports that average temperatures at start time are typically in the mid-50s, but that morning, it was closer to 40°.

The marathon is a point-to-point net uphill USATF certified BQ course with a significant hill near the half-way point.  It was a relatively scenic course through the countryside and finishing in downtown Missoula.

The marathon started promptly at 0600 as the rising sun was peaking over the eastern mountains.  As I made my way down Mullan Road, I had to use the bill of my cap to shade the sun from my eyes.  I was able to warm up to a comfortable level and set into a relaxed pace around the one-half mile mark.

It wasn’t long before I caught up to the 4:20 pace group.  I’ve never run with a pace group, but this time I thought I would try.  Approximately fifteen runners were in the group keeping a steady 9:55 pace as we paraded down Mullan Road, over the bridge on Kona Ranch Road and up Big Flat Road towards the BIG hill everyone talked about.

Every year, between Marathon Miles 10 and 11, two area ranchers mount their horses to welcome runners as they pass by their ranch.  I waved to them (as many others did) and appreciated their support for the marathon.  The pace leader said that they are there for every marathon and they have become a symbol of the event.  In fact, emblazoned on the front side the marathon tech shirt is a silhouette of the two.

The hill proved to be significant and long, but I was able to run the entire length without walking.  I was happy this hill came when it did, as I still had energy to make the steady climb.  The spectators were encouraging (well, at least most) but there were some who were keeping it real by telling us we’re not even close to the summit.

The half-way point came just before we crested over the summit for a much deserved downhill run back into the valley and over the Bitterroot River and the Maclay Bridge.

I was keeping up with my pace group to about Marathon Mile 18 aid station when fatigue and aching quadriceps forced me to take a 500 mg dose of acetaminophen.  I had to walk while I retrieved my pill from my pocket and sipped some water while downing a GU pack in the meantime; however, the pace group continued on without me.  My little break caused me to lag behind the group, which dwindled somewhat from when I joined the group, but managed to keep the pace leader in sight.

The city limits of Missoula began where the Milwaukee Trail crosses under Reserve Street.  There, I was able to catch up to the pace group once again.  I noticed the leader slowing a little, but didn’t know if it was due to fatigue or slowing down to keep on pace.  My time in the group was short-lived however – maybe a half mile or so.  One word sums it up – HEAT.

Finishing
The city streets were lined with trees which provided me much needed shade to keep going since the heat was beginning to take its toll.  The spectators were very supportive and encouraging to me as I kept running as I must have looked worn out.  Running up Gerald Avenue, I distinctly remember a kid, maybe 12 or so, telling runners as they passed by that we’ve never been so close to the finish.  Actually, I was getting closer with every stride.  He was right though, it was only a matter of a few blocks to the finish line.  At least he wasn’t saying, “You’re almost there!”

As I made my last turn onto Higgins and the short ascent up the bridge approach, the finish line was in sight.  Unfortunately, I was not able to finish with the pace group, but I gave it a noble effort.  I finished my seventeenth marathon and sixth state in a time of 4:23:36, a 10:03 per mile pace – only three and a half minutes behind.

Age graded score: 52.29%     Age graded time: 4:02:32

It was one the rare times I finished before my wife – almost three minutes faster!

I waited for my wife to finish so we could both walk down to the finish line festivities under the bridge in the Caras Park Pavilion area.  We gathered up some food and water and had our finisher photos taken with our medals.  All photos were immediately available at no cost to runners.

Not spending much time at the finish line area, we drove back to the hotel for some soak time in the hot tub.  Adjacent to the hotel was a shaded grassy and picnic area alongside Grant Creek.  We walked over to it and waded in the ice cold water soothing our achy feet.  When I started to get numb, it was time for me to exit the creek and allow circulation to resume.

Suomen kansallislippu
My wife got back into the hot tub, but I managed to spend about fifteen minutes in the hotel’s sauna.  I splashed some water onto the rocks so I could enjoy the löyly experience, an essential part of warming the body and relaxing the mind.  In the Finnish tradition, the sauna is a place where everyone is equal and you “leave your worries with your shoes.”  I only wish the sauna could be a regular part of my life.  Jos ei viina, terva ja sauna auta, niin tauti on kuolemaksi.

Now, with a clean body and a clean mind, we drove back into downtown for a meal at the Iron Horse Pub.  We joined members of the 50-states Club on the upstairs balcony.  We ordered a sandwich and were introduced to members of the club as we were going to join as soon as we completed our ten state requirement.

After our lunch, we decided to take another hike up to the “M”.  The trail head parking lot at the university provided a limited number of stalls for those wishing to hike the trail.  All of the stalls were occupied, so we parked in another space that wasn’t reserved for the trail, specifically permit parking only. 

I was quite surprised the hike up the hill wasn’t as bad as I thought.  I had plenty of energy for the uphill climb.  Maybe it was the fifteen minutes in the sauna.

Parking in an unreserved spot was on my mind during the hike.  Being a Sunday, maybe parking was not enforced by the university.  I was constantly looking down at the parking lot, but that wouldn’t have done any good if I saw the parking police since I was too far away to stop the officer.

After enjoying the view, we made the trek back down the hill only to find a parking ticket on the windshield.  Good grief, who would have thought.  The citation read that if this is the driver’s first one, it would be excused if accompanied with an explanation.  Since this was our first one, we provided an explanation and dropped it off in the mail.  That was a relief. 

Yummy ice cream
The Big Dipper Ice Cream eatery was next on our list for a sampling of homemade ice cream.  We heard that this was a famous place in Missoula, so we had to pay a visit.  The lines were quite long as we drove up to the eatery, indicating this was a popular spot.  When it was our turn at the order window, I was able to peruse the menu board of all the flavors.  To my amazement, I noticed cardamom ice cream was a flavor.  Wow, I thought.  That’ll be my choice!  So I ordered a double scoop.  Definitely an unusual flavor one doesn’t see too often, but just how did it taste?

I grew up eating Finnish braided cardamom bread (pulla or coffee bread as we called it) baked by my mother and great grandmother and I truly love the flavoring of the spice.  The ice cream tasted just like the coffee bread I know.  It was a wonderful treat and exceeded my expectations.

For dinner that evening, we decided to stop at another MacKenzie River Pizza Co.  This time in North Missoula on Grant Creek Road off I-90.  The pizza at this restaurant was a little different and not as creative as the store in downtown.  I thought the pizza at this location was a little better, however.

The day was ending and it was time to pack up our belongings for our trip home.  After an easy rental car return and quick security screening, we found out that the flight back to SFO was delayed, but unknown as to the time.  It was apparent the delay was a result of SFO’s runway closure I thought about on Friday.  

The small delay gave us an opportunity to grab a bite to eat.  We each had a Subway sandwich to tie us over for our flight back to SFO.  We happened to overhear a conversation between two women sitting at a two-person table next to ours.  It wasn’t long before we found out that the conversation was an interview for a car rental company located in the airport.  The interviewer was informing the prospective employee of work hours, days, duties, compensation, etc., and the importance of selling their insurance and other extras to customers as a way to maximize commissions. 

The United Airlines MD-80 departed Runway 29 for the 2h 20m flight to SFO.  As it turned out, the delay was just over an hour so it really wasn’t that bad.

During the flight back, a group of crazy ladies were in front of us cracking jokes, drinking wine (perhaps a little too much one could say) and having a good time with the flight attendants.  They just completed a week-long fishing expedition in the Kalispell area.  Whether they caught any fish is anyone’s guess.  I would imagine they were having such a good time, fishing would be the last thing on their mind.  Nonetheless, they provided great entertainment for the flight home.

I had such a great time in Missoula and wish there was enough time to visit Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake.  But that can wait for a future visit to Montana.

The marathon was a great experience with plenty of course support and spectators.  The scenery and the adventure activities in the area make Missoula a great destination for a marathon and shouldn’t be missed.  I recommend this marathon for anyone wishing to check-off Montana as a state towards their 50-state goal.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment